According to Sun Tzu, who wrote The Art of War, “strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory, tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”
Having a solid marketing strategy helps businesses in accomplishing their marketing goals. However, due to the evolution of technology, both small and large businesses have started to use social media in marketing often displacing the traditional way. This marks the popularity of advertising in the online world – the rise of modern marketing.
Unlike the traditional way of marketing and advertising, modern marketing has a wider sphere of influence. Radio and television advertising, flyers, posting ads on newspapers and YellowPages are the most common modes used under the umbrella of traditional marketing. On the other hand, modern marketing is associated with the influential power of the Internet and the social media. Can you cite a business that doesn’t have a Facebook page or a Twitter profile? These days, if you have a business and don’t have a Facebook or a Twitter account, I tell you, you’re missing an opportunity!
Here are some facts that will prove the influential power of social media in marketing a business:
- According to Facebook Statistics for 2011, there are 206.2 million Internet users in the US. That means 71.2% of the US Web audience is on Facebook.
- 57% of people talk to others more online than they do in real life.
- 48% of young Americans said they search for news through Facebook.
- There are 955 million monthly active Facebook users (as of June 2012).
- There are 552 million daily active Facebook users on the average (as of June 2012).
- 543 million monthly active users use Facebook mobile products (as of June 2012).
- More than 1.5 million local businesses have active pages on Facebook.
- Semiocast, a Paris-based Analysis Company, claims that Twitter reached half- billion accounts mark in June 2012, including more than 14 million in the US alone.
- US is the top country who uses Twitter with 107.7 million users.
What do these facts mean? These figures only show how powerful social media is today. Yes, even in the business industry. Now, you can imagine the size of the audience that you can reach with the advertising campaign for your clothing business if you post ads on Facebook or Twitter.
The Internet allows people to interact and make transactions in real time. Internet marketing along with e-commerce has made promoting, buying and selling of products and services faster, easier, and cheaper. It has indeed changed the way marketing is done.
Dr. Philip Kotler, the world’s foremost expert on the strategic practice of marketing, says “companies must pay attention to the fact that customers are getting more educated and have better tools such as the Internet at their disposal to buy with more discrimination.”
Now, are you seeing the opportunities social media marketing can bring to your business? Plan it now with the help of a social media virtual assistant!